Airbnb is becoming an increasingly popular vacation experience that provides users with fully-furnished short-term rentals owned by independent property owners. Airbnb currently operates nearly every major city in the world, with a current estimated six million listings worldwide.
Although most Airbnb guests enjoy a pleasant experience, some vacations can go terribly wrong.
Due to the independent ownership of these properties, there is no standard protocol for maintaining a safe and secure property. Instead, the Company provides its hosts with tips for responsible hosting in the United States. Therefore, it is the owners responsibility to ensure their properties will provide its guests with a safe and hazard free stay. Failure to do so can potentially cause a personal injury. If you or a loved one have become injured while on vacation, contact our Airbnb accident attorney immediately for a free consultation.
Types of Airbnb accidents
Injuries that can occur in an Airbnb are no different from any other type of premises liability claim. The injuries can be caused by a number of reasons, including slip and falls, unsecured hazards, defective building, toxic substances, and so on. Let’s take a deeper look into the different types of injuries you could sustain while vacationing at an Airbnb:
Slip and fall
Poorly lit walkways, obstructed walkways, defective handrails, and faulty staircases can all contribute to a slip and fall accident. Common injuries sustained in this type of accident can include broken bones, cuts and lacerations, muscle sprains and strains, head injury, back and spine injuries.
Objects that should be permanently affixed to the building that become detached. This could include lighting, ceiling fans, mounted television sets, and so on. If these objects become detached, fall, and hit you, you could sustain serious injuries that should be addressed immediately.
Many guests will be unaware if they have been exposed to a toxic chemical at an Airbnb during their stay. In most cases, they won’t feel the effects until after they have gone home. Certain toxins, including black mold and carbon monoxide, can cause incredibly dangerous side effects. If you suspect you are staying at a property that has caused exposure to a toxic chemical, contact an attorney immediately.
Although not all injuries that occur on a property are the fault of the owner, but if they either a). create the hazard, or b). knew about the hazard and did not address it, there is a good chance they will be held liable for your accident.
Airbnb host insurance covers liability claims
Airbnb’s Host Protection Insurance was created to protect Airbnb hosts against third-party liability claims. Host Protection Insurance becomes effective the moment a host lists their property on the Airbnb website. The insurance policy covers personal injury claims and property damage claims. The policy covers all claims up to $1 million dollars in damages.
Exceptions to this insurance coverage include:
- Intentional crime, including assault and battery, sexual assault, and defamation
- Robbery and theft
- Acts of terrorism
- Product liability
- Car accidents on private property
- Natural disasters
Airbnb Host Protection Insurance is currently only available within the United States, and the rules vary by state. For example, some states allow hosts to file claims of up to $1 million dollars at multiple properties as long as the aggregate does not exceed $10 million dollars.
What to do after an Airbnb accident
If you’ve been injured while staying in an Airbnb rental due to the negligence of the property owner, you should do the following to ensure you have a strong personal injury claim:
- Seek immediate medical attention. Medical records are the building blocks of any personal injury case because they document the severity and progression of your injuries. Without medical records, your claim will likely be denied.
- Collect evidence. Take photos of the accident scene, the hazard that caused your injury, and your injuries themselves. Take multiple photographs and gather any witness information possible.
- File a claim with Airbnb. Advise them of the injury, but do not go into detail. Simply advise them that you are in the process of hiring an attorney and they will be in contact with them to initiate further conversation.
- Hire an attorney. Airbnb liability claims are inherently difficult to pursue without the help of a skilled lawyer. At The Injury Firm, we have over a decade of experience filing claims against negligent property owners. We are here to help you and your loved ones recover financially. Contact us at any time for a free case review to discover what your option for financial recovery are.
“I got into an accident that wasn’t my fault. When my insurance wanted to hold me accountable for it I didn’t know who to call so I reached out to The Injury Firm. I can’t tell you how satisfied I was! It was like having a personal assistant. They took care of everything for me. I hope I never get in an accident again but if I do, they’ll be the first call I make.” – PERSONAL INJURY CLIENT